I was checking out the Target.com clearance section several years ago and I came across a pair of sandals on clearance for $5, regularly $19.99! I immediately chose my shoe size, added to my cart and clicked on the checkout button. It turned out that there was a $50 minimum purchase to get free shipping or completely free with no minimum if I use a Target REDcard. (Note: Back then the minimum free shipping threshold was $50, it’s like $25-$35 now).
“Well, F that! I don’t need a Target card.” I thought to myself.
Fast forward a couple of months later, I signed up for the Target REDcard (the credit card version). Mind you, the sandals were no longer available online. But I signed up for future deals, you know just in case.
7 Reasons to Sign Up for a Target REDcard
- 5% off every day in-store and online (this is especially awesome combined with coupons, cartwheel discounts, weekly sales and gift card deals)
- Free shipping at Target.com (no minimum purchase)
- Get 30 extra days for returns
- Up to 1% of purchases go to school of your choice (learn more and set it up here)
- Up to $40 cashback at checkout with Target Debit Card
- Exclusive REDcard member discounts and coupons – access exclusive coupons online via Manage My REDcard or coupons are sent with monthly statement
- No annual fee
Click here to sign-up online. Choose between a Target DEBIT card (linked to your bank account) or a Target CREDIT card. The application process for debit and credit has immediate approval. However, some debit applications may require a few days to confirm a bank account.
You can also apply at any Target store during checkout or at customer service. Just bring a blank bank check if you want to apply for the debit card. I recommend applying at the customer service area so you won’t hold up the line at checkout. #justsaying Call me paranoid but I don’t like the idea of linking my bank account with Target debit card! If you feel the same, choose the credit card version.
TIP Just remember to pay off your balance at the end of each month, though. Otherwise, that extra 5% discount is worthless.
PS. I found the sandals at my Target store several days later on clearance! ^.^ Happy endings are the best!